Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Saturday Medley


On Saturday, after having two cavities filled, I tried to dull my mild existential unease at having to face uncomfortable and physically painful moments throughout life by hunkering down in front of the television.
On this rainy day, I found my attention split between Kramer vs. Kramer and Reign Over Me, neither of which I'd seen before. I always think it's interesting watching movies in this sort of context (laying on your couch, not totally committed), as opposed to the focused attention you'll give something you paid ten bucks for, or rented for an evening.
Reign Over Me was really good in that subtle, Saturday morning way. It may not have been the best pick for trying to feel better about life, as one of the main characters, Charlie Fineman (Adam Sandler), is suffering from post-traumatic stress after losing his wife and three daughters in one of the plane crashes on 9/11. When his former roommate from dental school, Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle) runs into Charlie, he's saddened to see what the loss has done to his old friend -- Charlie is barely functioning in society, living in a bubble world that is guarded by his landlady and accountant, the only people he lets in, despite repeated attempts from his former in-laws to be in his life. He can't face the memory of his family, or the horrifying circumstances of their death.
Alan is also intrigued by the life Charlie has set up for himself, a solitary life based on scootering through the streets of New York, Mel Brooks comedy movies, and video games. His wife even accuses him of being jealous of Charlie's freedom.
Their rekindled friendship cracks open a window out Charlie's world, and he begins to experience life a little more, which doesn't always bring the best consequences. Alan changes too, recognizing in himself the ways that he too has shut people out.
Adam Sandler's performance was great... at times heartbreaking, at times funny. When he is finally able to talk to his wife's parents, telling them it's easier for them because they still have eachother, and that he sees his family everywhere, which is why he doesn't need to talk about it, my numbed face came very close to showing emotion. And then when he said, "I even see the dog. A german shepard walks in I see a poodle. That's how f-ed up I still am" (referring to the family dog, who was also on board), I shed a tear (from the active, left side of my face.)
Kramer vs. Kramer, a classic, was also quite good. I only saw the last twenty minutes which I think is enough for me to confidently say I agree that Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep are fine actors! And that kid was damn cute.
Also, soundtrack to Reign Over Me was amazing! Charlie uses his headphones to tune out the world and has a great choice of stuff to do it with. Really liked the Springsteen, and the Pretenders song, Stop Your Sobbing.

No comments: