Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Body of Lies


Before I see a movie, I've usually read at least one review, either because I was interested in it and wanted to check it out, or, because I read the review and then chose to see it (an act that makes me happy as a publicist that my job serves a purpose). I saw Body of Lies last night for a friend's birthday knowing nothing about it, because aside from Leo Dicaprio being really freaking hot, didn't have much of an interest. Which is interesting, because my marketing friend who I went to see it with said she read that this was a challenge for marketers of the movie -- people rarely go out to see movies about the current "situation" in the Middle East (I say situation in quotes because there was a great part in the movie where a Jordanian character takes offense to Dicaprio's character referring to the Iraq war as a "situation," when it had wreaked such havoc on their lives).
Anyway, it was nice going into this movie with no preconceived notions. We entered the theater and went on quite the ride through Imman, Jordan; Baghdad, Iraq; Turkey; Langley,VA and Washington DC and through the dark tunnels of American and Jordanian intelligence, and the ugly underbelly of terrorism in the Middle East. We entered the movie much like the characters entered dangerous situations: "Shoot me if anything goes wrong, I do not want my head cut off on the internet." I kind of felt like, poke me when it's time for me to take my glasses off and be blind because I can't watch someone get tortured right now.
But it was good -- fast-paced, and really forced your nose in all the crap that is going on over there, when it's usually easier to just change the channel when it comes up on the news. Lines between good and evil are blurred, unexpected turns, who's your friend, who do you trust, guy falls for hot girl, hot girl falls in harms way, blah blah blah... but good blah blah.
Ok so that was my first stab at a movie review in years, next one will be better!

No comments: